Bolton Abbey was technically a priory, despite its name. It was founded in 1154
by the Augustinian order, on the banks of the River Wharfe. The nave of the
abbey church was in use as a parish church from about 1170 onwards, and
survived the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The east end remains in
ruins. A tower, begun in 1520, was left half-standing, and its base was later
given a bell-turret and converted into an entrance porch.
Most of the remaining church is in the Gothic style of architecture, but more
work was done in the Victorian era, including windows by August Pugin. It is
still a working priory today, holding services on Sundays and religious
Burnsall – The River Wharf
The original Grade II listed ashlar stone bridge was built in 1609 thanks to a
gift of money from local benefactor Sir William Craven who also paid for
Burnsall Grammar School. In 1752 it was described as being "a good bridge
and all paved". It was restored or possibly rebuilt in 1884
following flood damage.
It has three segmental arches with a smaller one to each side. Burnsall is a
popular destination on summer weekends and the bridge carries a lot of motor
Grassington – Chapel St.
Michael Linton 1694. 1939
Church House, Grassington has a rather chequered history. It was built as a
house in 1694 and is constructed with coursed gritstone rubble with a graduated
stone slate roof. During the 18th century the building was used as livery
stables. The building was altered in the 19th and 20th centuries.
After a period as a Temperance Hotel it was bought by the church in 1924 and
consecrated for worship. It is now a public hall and chapel.
Frank has produced two variants of this sketch. One has more shading.