The house and gardens date from the 16th century. Southover Grange was formerly
known as Southover House or Southover Priory. It was built by William Newton in
1572. The Newton family occupied the Grange for almost 300 years until 1860.
In 1871, William Laird Macgregor bought the house and made
extensive alterations and additions to the building. He rebuilt the south
east portion, installed the present main staircase, extended the east wing and
added a new outer hall. He also rebuilt the stone chimney stacks
and brick shafts.
Lewes - Anne of Cleeve’s
This is a 15th century timber-framed Wealden hall house. It formed part of
Queen Anne's annulment settlement from King Henry VIII in 1541, although she
never visited the property. It was restored by the architect Walter
Godfrey. It is home to wide-ranging collections of furniture and artefacts of Sussex
interest. The bedroom and kitchen are furnished to resemble their appearance at
the time of Cleves's ownership.