The following article appeared on page 9 of the second issue of Barking and
Dagenham Council’s Community Newspaper The News which was published on 13 June
2009. The article was penned by our Chairman, John Blake.
Barking and District Historical Society celebrates its 75 anniversary this
year. It was established as the Barking and District Archaeological Society
three years after Barking achieved charter status. Many of the founders were
involved with the historical pageant and industrial exhibition that formed part
of the charter celebrations.
It was rather a grand body in those days with the Marquess of Salisbury, a
local landowner, as its first president, and four bishops, one peer and four
knights as vice-presidents!
To mark the society’s diamond jubilee in 1994, local historian Bert Lockwood,
published an excellent booklet, A Happy Thought: the Story of Barking and
District Historical Society 1934-1994. To mark the society’s 75 anniversary, it
is launching a reference collection of books, photographs and memorabilia in
Bert’s memory. His widow, Dorothy, is one of the society’s five current
The society now has about 50 members. It works with other groups to promote the
study of local history as well as organising talks and outings such as this
month’s ghost walk in the City of London conducted by current vice-chair Pat
The society meets at Harp House, 16 Helmore Road, Barking at 7.45pm on the
first Monday of the month except in January, July and August. New members are
always welcome. For more details, call 020 8597 7210 or email
firstname.lastname@example.org. The society’s website is at