Mosaic - Barking and District Historical Society

Barking and District Historical Society
Go to content

Main menu:

Mosaic

Pictures > A-D > Churches > St. Patrick's

St. Partick's Church, Barking is located in Blake Avenue, near the railway bridge. The architect, chosen by the donor Lavinia C. Keene, being A.E. Wiseman of Chelmsford. The exterior has been compared to a tube station and the interior to a cinema. The main delight must be the painted apse ceiling. A delightful, most lively mosaic - recently completed as part of a youth project beautifully depicts the history of Barking.

The foundation stone was laid on 13th July 1940, not by the reclusive Mrs. Lavinia C. Keene, as stated on the stone, who was indisposed due to poor health.



Back to content | Back to main menu