Henry Gillard Glindon was born in Kennington Lane in 1852 and died on 20th November 1913. He lived at The Studio, Whalebone North, Chadwell Heath 1891-1913. Valence House Museum has some examples of his work. He was an English painter noted for his depiction of period costumery in historical and genre scenes. He was one of a family of five orphans, his original surname being 'Glindon'. Glindoni was obliged to take care of himself from the age of 14, which he did by taking various acting and painting jobs. He was drawn into the world of theatre and became a scenery painter, further augmenting his finances by sketching the actors with whom he came in contact. He also tried his hand at porcelain painting. Encouraged to study art, he attended Maurice's Working Men's College and the Castle Street School of Art. Glindoni's speciality was that of 17th and 18th century costume and he was noted for his paintings of Cardinals. He settled in Chadwell Heath some time after 1891, living in a new cottage which still exists at the corner of Mill Lane and Whalebone Lane North. Glindoni frequently exhibited between 1872 to 1904, at the Royal Academy, Royal Institute of Oil Painters, Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers, Old Water Colour Society, the Society of British Artists in London, and the Royal Society of Artists in Birmingham. He was accepted as a full member of the Royal Society of British Artists in 1879 and an associate of the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colours in 1883.
Two highlighted prints are illustrated below:
Henry Gillard Glindoni (1852-1913) An elegantly dressed lady beside a gateway Original sold at Tennants Auction House 17th November 2011 for £600. Signed, inscribed on the mount, pencil and watercolour heightened with white, 60cm by 42cm Condition Report: " It has faded to some degree but still retains a certain amount of colour. It may have been cleaned and certainly has been remounted and original frame restored and regilded. It is contained within a good quality washline and partially gilded outer cream mount with inner gilt card fillet under glass".