The photographs below, which were taken on Monday 30th July 2018, show a large terracotta cast commemorative stone located in Gascoigne Road, Barking. The stone lists members of the school Board in 1891. Some potted biographical details are given below.
W.W. Glenny Chairman
Joseph Skinley Vice Chairman
H.H. Henson M.A. Chairman of Committees
J.W. Braund.Captain S. Glenny
W. Watkinson.Mr. T. Young
Dawson FRIBA Architect
William Wallis Glenny
(1839-1923). J.P, was a market gardener and wrote about watercress
- its history and cultivation. He was prominent in local government.
Joseph Skinley (1840-1895) was captain of a fishing
vessel and by 1891 a manager of Hewett’s fishing company. He is buried in St.
Herbert Henley Henson (1863-1947) was a prominent and
controversial clergyman rising from vicar of Barking to Bishop of Durham. At his farewell Barking sermon he “painted a portrait of
Barking as a corrupt city like Sodom and Gomorrah – prostitutes in the streets,
local government corrupt, apostles of hatred propagating hatred,
everywhere a reign of suspicion”.
John Wilton Braund (1847-1926) was born in Brampton,
Devon and died in Dovercourt, Essex in 1926, leaving an estate of £2587. In
1891 he was living in ‘Germans’ 112, North Street, Barking and employed as a
manager of a wholesale drapery.
Samuel Glenny (1845-1910) was an
auctioneer and Estate Agent and served as Barking Vestry Clerk. He was a member
of the School Board 1889-1901. He bitterly stated in his biographical note
"My life has been ruined by overwork for the public, without
appreciation, mostly owing to Socialistic slanders”. He died at Westcliff
leaving an estate of £15,155.
William Watkinson was born in Lincoln in 1855 and was
a prominent socialist and trade unionist. He addressed large crowds and worked
Will Thorne. In 1901 he was a dock labourer living in 66 Romford Street
Barking. Frogley was rather scathing of Watkinson.
Thomas Young (1853-1932) was born in Forfar, Scotland
and came to Barking to work in the jute works. He became an auctioneer at 84,
East Street and died in 102 Cranbrook Road, leaving an estate of £49,815.
Charles Henry Mills (1857-1918), the son of a foreman
stevedore was born in Barking and died in Prior Park Building, Bath. On the
1891 census he was living in Swanbourne Villa, Longbridge Road, employed as
Clerk to the Barking School Board; on an annual salary of £60. He resigned
shortly afterwards and in 1901 was living in Prittlewell, Southend as an Estate
and Insurance Agent. He later moved to Walton-on-the-Naze and left an estate of
Charles James Dawson (1850-1933) was the distinguished
Barking architect, who was born and died in Barking. Dawson created Barking
Park, the old Magistrates Court (council offices) and numerous schools. He
fathered 15 children and is buried in Rippleside Cemetery close to the chapel
which he designed.
Frederick John Coxhead (1851-1938), born in Poplar,
was a builder and contractor of 45 Bulwer Road, Leytonstone. Probate of his £30
estate was granted to his son, Arthur John Coxhead, a civil servant.