The east gate or Curfew Tower was built about 1460. It now forms the main entrance to the churchyard. This tower is the only complete building remaining of the abbey. It has been extensively refaced and restored. It contains a large mid twelfth century rood.
Image taken from a glass photographic plate
Presumably dates from about 1900
Barking Curfew Tower, Barking, Essex.
Photograph taken on a dull day, Saturday 16th September 1893 at 5pm.
Courtesy of Essex Field Club Collection
The above miniature watercolour of the Curfew Tower, Barking
is signed on the back “T. Bushby”. Thomas Bushby (1861-1918) was a painter and
lithographer from Bradford Yorkshire who came to London briefly in the early
1880's. The image is however identical to one below sketched by William Henry
James Boot (1848-1918), an English oil and watercolour artist, illustrator and
author, which appeared in Greater London, published by Edward Walford in 1883.
The mystery is who copied who?