A planning document issued in 2006 described this Lane as "an ancient street with a long and chequered history". Little St Mary's Lane dates back to at least 1300AD. It was formerly home to the bargees who brought corn and coal along the river to the Mill Pool but by the late nineteenth century college servants mainly occupied the dwellings. Today the lane has been gentrified and is a quiet, mainly residential street in the heart of Cambridge. The highly decorative gas lamps, astutely observed and drawn by Frank, are Grade II listed. The dominating spire is part of the Emmanuel United Reformed Church, Trumpington Street which was built in 1875 to a design by the architect James Cubitt (1836-1912).
St. Mary and St. John the Evangelist Church, Hinxton, Cambridgeshire
The medieval parish church of St. Mary and St. John dates from about 1200 when the chancel, nave and tower were constructed of flint and rubble with some Barnack limestone and clunch [hard chalk] dressings. The south aisle and chapel were added in the 1300’s. The church is in the Early-English style. The western tower, which has a lead-covered needle spire, contains a clock and two bells that were first hung in 1903. Other parts of the grade II* listed building date between the 15th and 19th century. Frank has beautifully framed the church with magnificent trees and neatly clipped hedges.
This picturesque small clapboard watermill straddles the River Cam as it flows northward through the village. Although the present mill was built in the seventeenth century, it is almost certainly the site of the mill mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as being "worth 8 shillings" [40p]. The mill, used for grinding corn, ceased operation in 1955 and fell into disrepair. The cottage, although occupied by the son of the last miller, was then almost derelict with no mains water supply and a roof leaking in a dozen places. The mill was restored in the 1980’s and is open to visitors. The cottage is now a private dwelling. Frank has captured the tranquillity of this special place with the watermill’s reflection in the still water of the mill pool.