Founded as the Barking and District Archaeological Society. The initial meeting took place on 10th November with Robert Hewett in the chair. Lord Salisbury agreed to become its first president. There were 47 members in the first year. The society met in the Council Chamber of Barking Town Hall.
First volume of Transactions published under the editorship of J.E. Oxley. He edited them until 1958.
The Society demanded that the Royal College of Surgeons return two Roman skulls to Barking which were unearthed during building work in the town.
Society members paid a visit to Valence House at the invitation of J.G. O'Leary.
James Oxley became chairman
Committee decided to abandon its programme of excursions due to the international situation
Death of Fred Brand, first vice-chairman and later chairman. He was the Society’s first Life Member.
The AGM decided that the existing officers and committee be re-elected for the duration of the war (World War II)
Meetings of the Society moved from Eastbury House to Barking Town Hall because the bus service “cannot be guaranteed in the blackout”.
AGM held at Barclays Bank Chambers, East Street, Barking.